Before hiring a divorce attorney, you want to be sure you gather information about his or her experience and how your case will be handled based on theses experiences. The Glendale divorce attorneys at The Sampair Group welcome any and all questions at your initial consultation, as well as throughout your divorce process. Here are some important questions you should ask your divorce attorney so they can be familiar with the unique aspects of your case and determine the ways to best represent you.
1. Do you have any special training or certification in family law and divorce?
2. How many years have you been handling divorce and family law cases?
3. How many years have you been practicing in this state?
4. How many divorce cases have you handled? How many of those cases were you able to settle out of court?
5. Do you know my spouse or my spouse’s attorney?
6. What are your thoughts on mediation and negotiation vs. trail?
7. Do you have experience negotiating child support, spousal support, large financial settlements or business valuation? (Be specific about issues you feel will come up during your divorce)
8. Do you have courtroom experience? How many of your cases went to trial last year?
9. Do you have experts outside of your firm you regularly work with? (e.g. accountants, private investigators, counselors)
10. What is your usual or preferred strategy or “philosophy” for handling a divorce case?
11. Do you encourage or discourage direct contact between spouses during divorce?
12. How long do you think my divorce will take?
13. Are you trained in mediation and/or collaborative law? Based on what you know about my case, how would you predict a judge would rule on it? Beside yourself, what other people in your firm would work on my case? (e.g. paralegals, associate attorneys)
14. Do you have a heavy caseload? Will you have time to devote to my case?
15. Will I receive copies of documents filed with the court, all communication with my spouse’s attorney and any other documents related to my case?
16. If I need to reach you, what is the best time of day?
17. Will I be kept informed of all developments in my case?
18. Will you ask my opinion before planning strategy?
19. What are your fees per hour? How much is your retainer and how do you bill me for work performed on my case?
20. Are there any new changes to the law that could affect the outcome of my case?
Many variables can come up during the divorce process, but full disclosure between you and your spousal attorney can increase your chances of the most successful outcome. The Sampair Group is here to help with each specific case to make sure clients are legally protected and go through the process as efficiently as possible.