Many people feel blindsided when their spouse files for divorce. You may know that your marriage isn’t perfect, but a divorce can certainly take you by surprise. What are the signs you should look for that may show your spouse is getting ready to file?
– Your spouse has a lot of private calls and emails. People who are getting ready to file for divorce often spend a lot of time hashing it over with friends and family, necessitating a lot of private communication.
– Suddenly your spouse opens a separate bank account or credit card. This is a classic sign of an impending divorce. Your spouse may start siphoning off marital funds so he or she has access to them during the divorce.
– Your spouse steps up his or her parenting. If your spouse was not very involved before but suddenly is going to your child’s games, signing homework, and communicating with teachers it could mean a divorce is coming. This creates evidence of his or her involvement which can be useful in a custody trial.
– There is a sudden downturn in your spouse’s pay or a reduction in profits in a business he or she owns. This is a common ploy to try to reduce the amount of spousal or child support.
– You’re asked to sign forms that re-characterize ownership of real estate or assets or which clarify gifts or inheritances your spouse received. This can be an attempt to rejigger marital assets.
– Your spouse seems to have developed a new vocabulary of legal terms. This is a good sign he or she has seen an attorney or has been doing online research.
The Sampair Group is ready to protect your rights in your divorce or family law case in Glendale, Phoenix and Mesa, Arizona. We’re here to help you through your divorce. Call us now.