Anytime a difficult situation arises in life, the best result is one where a lesson is learned and destructive behavior is not repeated in the future. For example, if you are pulled over and charged with drinking while driving the laws are designed to help deter the same action later down the road. If you forget to turn in an important paper or project, the consequences might be so harsh that the next time around you exercise extra care to complete your work timely and turn it in by the deadline. In the world of relationships, even a relationship that ends can teach you some valuable lessons. The hope is that when you meet a new romantic interest, the same results will not be inevitable, and you can enjoy a healthy relationship or marriage.
But learning from past mistakes first hand can be heartbreaking, and if there is somewhere else to look for pointers you can save yourself a lot of emotional trauma. Fortunately, there is no shortage of stories and reports on failed celebrity relationships to turn to for advice. Five lessons we can learn from watching a celebrity divorce play out in public are:
- Honesty is the best policy, and when one partner is not being honest with the other the level of distrust that is caused can end the relationship.
- Priorities must be shared and putting your relationship above things like work and friends will help to build a solid foundation upon which to build.
- Sometimes older does mean wiser, as a lot of younger couples are usually not ready for the level of commitment it takes to make a marriage last. If you still have things you want to accomplish in your life, putting off getting married is a good idea if your potential spouse does not share your goals.
- Individuality should be encouraged, so both parties to the relationship have the chance to be themselves.
- If you have to change for your spouse, or require them to change for you, the relationship is likely not going to work. It is natural to have your own interests and passions, and the right person for you should not expect you to give up healthy habits or hobbies.
It is easy to get caught up in watching how the relationships or marriage of well-known people play out, but do so with an eye to what you can learn from what you see rather than simply using the information for water cooler talk at the office. And, if you believe the answer for your situation involves a separation or divorce, take steps to make sure you protect your rights. We will help to develop a strategy aimed at fair results, and assist you with your needs as a single person.
For more information about divorce, call us today. Let us put our experience to work for you. Call The Sampair Group in Phoenix and the West Valley today to schedule your appointment.