There seems to be a list for most everything in life, and some of the lists are more fun than helpful. But, when you see a headline that screams “do this or your marriage is over”, it can be worth a read. Unfortunately, there is no one reason why people get divorced, and each case is different. Even looking at history, friends or family that have gone through a divorce, or the world of celebrity marriage does not always help pinpoint the reason for a divorce. However, these lists are well intentioned and can be a good starting point to take a look at your own relationship and see where it’s headed, and where help might be needed.
Five signs your marriage is headed for divorce and that it might be time to sit down and talk it over with a qualified family law professional, include:
- Getting married at a young age, like the case of stars Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe.
- Expecting to change your spouse, or pretending to be something different than who you are. Brad Pitt has said this of his marriage to Jennifer Aniston, and it may have contributed to their split.
- Keeping important secrets from your spouse.
- If one of the parties is trying to control the other, the marriage will likely not work.
- Spending more time apart than you do together. For a relationship, and especially one that involves children, to thrive it is critical to spend time together and work towards common goals.
There are other warnings signs that might occur as well; including infidelity, physical or emotional abuse, or no longer sharing the same ideals. Any of these things can lead to divorce, and the first sign one of these factors is at play is a good time to take stock of your relationship. Talking things over with your spouse will give you a good idea of whether the marriage is salvageable, or whether divorce is in your future. If the decision is made to end your marriage, call us for help. We will listen to your needs, and aggressively pursue remedies that work for you.
For answers to your questions about marriage and divorce, consult one of the trained family law professionals in our office. Let us put our valuable experience to work for you. Call The Sampair Group in Phoenix and the West Valley today to schedule your appointment.