They say money is the root of nearly every problem in a marriage. When money is tight, tensions are high and people are more likely to be on edge. This mix of circumstances can lead to more fights, resentment, and ultimately divorce. This is why experts agree that before you even walk down that aisle, you have a heart to heart with your fiancée about money. While it can be a difficult subject to broach, if you are not on the same page financially as your spouse, you could be in for a lot of heartache, not to mention headaches, down the road.
Forbes sets forth some important things for a couple to think about financially when getting married, and these five things are something everyone should consider:
- Placing a value on things rather than on the relationship will spell certain disaster. When one of the parties to the marriage puts more stock in material things than in the marriage itself, it can leave the other person feeling undervalued and taken for granted. If you are able to avoid falling into the trap of “keeping up with the Jones”, your marriage will have a higher success rate.
- Failing to share the same financial goals is another way marriages fail. When one spouse overspends, or has a different financial philosophy, the relationship can flounder.
- Being inflexible to your role within the marriage, as it relates to finances, can also spell doom. Gone are the days where moms stay home with the kids while dad works. If you are unable to adapt to a shift in traditional roles, your marriage may suffer.
- If your style of spending differs too greatly from your spouse’s style, you can easily fall into the trap of hiding purchases or downplaying your spending. This is not only a bad money habit, but can lead to bigger problems such as lack of trust.
- Believing things will just “work out” without effort. If you are in financial distress, you have to be realistic about your situation and work together with your spouse as a team to reach solutions. Failure to do so might mean failure of your marriage.
Of course there are other reasons besides money that cause marriages to dissolve. If you are facing divorce, call us for help. We will make sure your interests are protected, and work with you for results that are satisfactory.
For more information about divorce, call us today. Let us put our experience to work for you. Call The Sampair Group in Phoenix and the West Valley today to schedule your appointment.