Life is full of ups and downs, and divorce is just one aspect of it. When you are looking for a family attorney, it is important to remember that you don’t have to choose the first lawyer you meet. This is true even if you have received a referral from a family member or friend; remember to do your homework. You need to choose the lawyer that is best for your situation. Here are a few questions to ask your potential attorney.
- What is their specialty? You will want a lawyer that specializes in what you need, whether it be divorce, etc.
- What is your strategy for my case?
- How long do you take to return phone calls? You want your counsel to be accessible as often as possible.
- How long will it take to resolve my case? Times can vary, but your lawyer should be able to give you a general idea of how long it will take.
- How will you charge me? You should find out if there will be an hourly rate, retainer, or other fees.
- Do you allow me to negotiate directly with my spouse? This is important since you always want to have a say during the divorce process.
- What’s your estimate of the total cost of this divorce?
- Will anyone else in your office be working on my case? If you will not be working directly with your lawyer, you should know who you will be dealing with on a day-to-day basis.
There are many lawyers that specialize in family law. However, in all reality family law is a subspecialty that involves a lot of legal knowledge and an intricate understanding of complex legal principles.
When it comes to family law there are even deeper specialties, such as international custody law, special orders, and guardianship. There is no substitute for experience, so make sure you hire an attorney that has dealt with similar cases in the past. At The Sampair Group we guarantee to work with you and your specific circumstances to make sure your rights are protected. Visit www.sampair.com for a free consultation.