A custody case can bring out your deepest fears. The stakes are high and you want to do everything you can to improve your chance of a good outcome. Here are some ways to make sure you are maximizing your chances.
- Observe all court orders. If a temporary order has been issued in your case for parenting time, follow it precisely. Be on time for every single transfer. Don’t skip a single moment that is assigned to you. If you have a temporary or permanent child support order, pay it on time every time. If there is a protective order keeping you away from your ex, do not violate it in any way. Show the court how compliant you are.
- Keep records. Write down exactly what is happening with parenting time. Note when your ex is late or skips a visit. Make notes of all the things you do with your child during your time. Make note of when you help your child talk or text with your ex during your time.
- Stay involved. Go to all school functions, games, practices, teacher conferences, and events you possibly can to demonstrate how involved you are in your child’s daily life.
- Support your child’s relationship with the other parentS. Showing that you can encourage and support this relationship proves you are a mature parent who always puts what is best for your child first. Demonstrate that you believe it is important for your child to have a relationship with the other parent.
- Be a safety expert. When it comes to your child, become a safety nerd. Insist on seatbelts, curfews, childproofing, correct medication schedules, and adult supervision at all times. For yourself, don’t get traffic tickets, drink or use drugs, or have any brushes with law enforcement. You need to be squeaky clean.
- Stay single. Bringing a new partner around your child complicates your custody case. While you’re certainly allowed to date or have relationships, things get messy when your new partner becomes part of your child’s world. It gives your ex and the court one more thing to scrutinize. If you’re going to date, try to keep some distance between that part of your life and your child while your case is ongoing.
The Sampair Group provides personalized legal assistance in the Mesa or Glendale areas of Arizona. Our attorneys are ready to work for you to achieve a positive outcome on your custody case or divorce.