My boyfriend is being served with custody papers. Can I keep the children until the court date?


My boyfriend is being served on Wednesday with custody papers for twins. I am worried he will take 3 month old twins.  Can I get in trouble for telling him no until we go to court?

He said he cant afford child support and was advised not to pay. Also, his name is on both of the birth certificates.


Until you get to court you can keep the children. They are probably too young to be away from you for too long anyway. The best way to deal with this is to offer him some time with the kids (a couple of hours at a time) and come to an agreement until you go to court. You can have a hand written agreement and it does not need to be notarized. Communicate by email if possible and keep the emails on the topic of the kids not any problems between you and him.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

Click here to read more of Attorney Patrick Sampair’s answer’s on Avvo: Can I keep the children until the court date?